Monday, October 8, 2012

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys is the first book in a planned four book series.  I really enjoyed all of the characters, but there was something missing.  Perhaps it was the third person narration, but I'm not really sure that was the problem because I enjoyed hearing the story from the different characters' perspectives.  I just never felt a true connection to the characters or the story until the last quarter of the book.

The first 270 out of 408 pages were very slow for me.  We learn about Blue, a high school girl, and her relatives who are all psychics.  We learn about "the raven boys" (Gansey, Ronan, Adam, and Noah) personal histories.  They are all from privileged families, with one exception, and they are all attending a prestigious boarding school in Blue's hometown of Henrietta.

Gansey recruited all of his friends to help him explore the "ley line".  He has conducted research around the world and has come to the realization that Henrietta has the most powerful ley line and Glendower, his ultimate quest, may be buried here.  He just needs to find out where.  Their investigation breaks wide open once they meet Blue.  The closer they get to finding the ley line the more dangerous things become.  They make an unusual discovery, which directly impacts their circle of friends.  Once this discovery was made, I really started to enjoy the book.  I just wish we were given this piece of information sooner.  It shed light on many of the events that happened earlier in the book.  I actually went back and reread several sections to better appreciate and understand them.

I am anxious to see what happens in the second book.  Now that we are past all of the history and build up that was required for this story, the next book should pick up where this one left off.  There was a lot of excitement and energy the last quarter of this book, which I hope Stiefvater will be able to build upon.

4 comments:

  1. Eeek...you can't give me this kind of review and expect me to eagerly dive in when I have the newest Rick Riordan book sitting on my bookshelf oogling me, calling, "Read me! Read me!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand. While it isn't On the Road, I would't hold it against you if you decided to hold off on this read along.

      Delete
  2. Hump...I see how you two are....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got me. I think there is real potential, so I told Flo should could "hold off"...not skip it all together :) I really hope she can turn Gansey into more of a fictional BF in the next book. That is what keeps the pages turning.

      Delete