Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Alex by Lauren Oliver


At the end of Requiem, the final book in the Delirium trilogy, is a short story titled Alex.  According to the cover of my book, it is only available in the first printing of Requiem.  Consisting of only 27 pages...it is VERY short, even for a novella.  While Goodreads has it listed as 3.5 and it physically comes after Requiem... it actually consists of events from Alex's perspective that occur while he was a child as well as some events from books 1 and 2 in the series.

I was a bit disappointed by this novella.  I loved Alex's character in Delirium.  The way he was portrayed through his thoughts and feelings in this novella was not what I would have expected from him.  I was also hoping to get more insight on his thoughts AFTER book 2 and perhaps some added content about what happens in the future...post Requiem.  None of these things panned out for me, so I felt like I could have lived with or without this story.  It was okay...but I didn't really gain much from it.

I gave it three stars on Goodreads simply because I loved this trilogy and Alex.  I probably would have given it two stars if it weren't for these facts.  If you are a fan of the series, it is an interesting read and will not take up much of your time.  I wouldn't, however, go out of my way to get a copy if it isn't included in your copy of Requiem.

No comments:

Post a Comment