Monday, September 29, 2014

Movie Review: The Fault in our Stars by John Green


I'm probably the only YA book blogger that did not see this movie in the theater, but I knew I would make a spectacle of myself if I watched it public.

I picked it up from the library last week for our family movie night.  The first time we saw images of Hazel as a child in the hospital my eyes started to water.  My son started poking my husband and pointing at me.  His response was..."This is nothing new.  You should watch Titanic with Mom".  Preston then went and brought me a box of tissues.  

The movie was exceptionally well done.  The acting was great and the movie stuck to the story line.  Several of my favorite lines from the book were in the movie, which brought a smile to my face...even with the difficult subject matter.

The only thing I wish they would have included from the book was the conversation Isaac had with his Ophthalmologist.  I work for several Ophthalmologists, so I found it to be ridiculously funny in the book.  It wasn't a substantial part of the story, so I understand why it wasn't included in the film...but it would have been great if they could have found a way to include it.

The trip to Amsterdan was absolutely perfect.  Van Houten was just as vile as I remember, but Hazel and Augustus's date more than made up for it.  It was a trip of a lifetime for both of them.  Here is a picture from Amsterdam.


Of course they couldn't leave out the swing set.


This has to be one of the best movies I have seen in a while.  If you read the book, it is a MUST see, but I think anyone will enjoy it.  My husband described it as a chick flick, but he watched the entire film and seemed to enjoy it.  I had to cover Preston's eyes at one point, but there is really only one scene that I would consider to be inappropriate for someone under 13.


No comments:

Post a Comment