Thursday, January 23, 2014

Movie Review: The Mortal Instruments - City of Bones Movie


I read the book and loved it, but for some reason I didn't get around to seeing this movie in the theater.  I just finished watching the DVD and I thought it was very well done.  It has been quite a while since I read the book, but it felt like they stuck to the storyline pretty well.

The two characters that looked nothing like what I had envisioned were Valentine and Simon.  The problem that I could have had with Valentine is the fact that he was soaking wet the entire time.  I never pictured the portal as being a water based method of transport.  I thought it was more like walking through a bright light.  I never imagined that the characters would look like drowned rats after traveling through a portal.  I will definitely keep this in mind when I read the rest of the series.

I always thought Simon would look similar to Adam Brody from the O.C.  The actor who played Simon, Robert Sheehan, did a nice job...he just didn't have the same look that I was expecting.

The Institute was far more magnificent than I ever imagined.  I'm sure every Book Nerd would love a library in their home that looks like this.



Hopefully they will be able to use a couple of runes to get the place back into its original condition after that epic battle at the end of the movie.

My favorite scene was when Jace took Clary to the greenhouse on her birthday.  Watching all of the flowers open at midnight was magical.  That was also my favorite scene in the book, so I was happy to see that they were able to do it justice on the big screen.


While the movie did make money, I am surprised it wasn't a bigger hit than it was.  I was expecting this movie to compete with Twilight and the Hunger Games based upon the success of the books, but it didn't even come close.  It will be interesting to see how the second movie does in comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment