Friday, June 27, 2014

Review: The One by Kiera Cass


The One was everything I was hoping for and then some.  The selection is down to the final four and America finally decided to fight for Maxon, which I would have been doing from the very beginning.  Maxon is one of my favorite fictional males and I couldn't understand why America still doubted him.  

At the beginning of the book the remaining members of the selection were still out for blood.  They didn't trust each other and the possibility of lasting friendships was almost certainly out of the question.  After a few events, things slowly began to change.  Some characters such as the King will never change, but I was very surprised by Celeste and Kriss.  Celeste was not the heartless snob I always thought she was and Kriss had been keeping a secret that I never would have anticipated.

The rebels are still out for change and attacks against the palace and the royal family are always a possibility.  Violence is escalating withing the casts, but America and Maxon soon learn that one of the groups of rebels may actually be on their side.

I thoroughly enjoyed this series and can't wait to see what Kiera will be working on next.

Here is the brief Goodreads overview for her next series:

" A new series by Kiera Cass, author of The Selection. In the as-yet-untitled YA romance, which was pitched as Matched meets Never Let Me Go, children trained in academies to be perfect friends can be purchased by the wealthy as companions, and a forbidden romance ensues."

There is an additional Selection series novella scheduled to be released this winter about Queen Amberly, which I'm anxiously anticipating.  I would also love a short story that provides a little more detail on what happens after The One.  A glimpse at what life is like for Maxon, his princess, and the people of Illea a few years into the future would be an excellent way of capping of this exceptional series.


No comments:

Post a Comment