Thursday, April 16, 2015

Review: Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead

Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5)

Spirit Bound is the fifth book in the Vampire Academy series.  Rose and Lissa are determined to uncover the truth about the possibility of turning a strigoi back into his/her original state.  Specifically...if they can turn Dimitri back into a dhampir.

The majority of this book takes place at the Royal Court, but it isn't the safe haven it is made out to be.  There is a lot of action that takes place politically as well as physically.  I was happy to see that Christian, Lissa, and Adrian had a larger role in this book than they did in the previous.  Only connecting to them through the bond or Adrian walking dreams left a tremendous void in my opinion. 

I enjoyed seeing Adrian in his natural element.  His arrogance and royal status really stood out, but in a positive way.  I have a feeling Rose is going to break his heart in the long run, but I wouldn't worry about him.  There are a lot of fangirls (Flo and I included) that will step up in a pinch if he ever needs a date to one of his numerous royal functions.

Just when I thought the story was on track for a predictable ending, Richelle threw us for a loop.  Rose must fight for not only her career as a guardian, but her freedom as well.  Her friends and family are behind her, but they have a long fight ahead of them.

There was a MAJOR cliffhanger of an ending.  I can't imagine what people went through who read this book at the time of its release.  Hanging in the balance for a year must have been PAINFUL.  Fortunately...I downloaded the final book from the library as soon as I closed the cover on Spirit Bound.  I can't wait to see how the series will conclude and would recommend it to any YA fan.

Spoiler Alert...Don't read the following if you haven't finished reading Spirit Bound

Seriously??? After everything Rose went through to bring Dimitri back from the dead and he refuses to see her.  Love changes????  Are you kidding me?  If Rose were going to put a stake through someone's heart, it would have been Dimitri's instead of the person she is being accused of killing.  By the end of the book I felt like there was hope for them, but his dejected attitude was beyond frustrating.

I was, however, happy to see that Lissa and Christian were able to work out their differences.  They are such a great couple and didn't deserve the misery they were putting themselves through.  It will be interesting to see how their relationship progresses in the final book.


1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I can remember how I felt when I first read this and I seriously get the frustration! Keep reading :)

    Great review Jacque!

    ReplyDelete