Thursday, May 28, 2015

Review: Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover

Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2)

This is the second book in the Slammed series by Colleen Hoover.  If you haven't read Slammed, you REALLY need to read it prior to reading Point of Retreat.

Will and Lake's relationship is as solid as ever until Lake discovers his ex-girlfriend is in one of his classes and he failed to mention it.  Will wants absolutely nothing to do with his ex, but Lake begins to question their relationship.

We were introduced to a few new characters in this book.  Kiersten is a neighbor girl who becomes friends with Will and Lake's younger brothers, Caulder and Kel.  She has to be the most brilliant 11 year old I have ever met.  She is very blunt and gives some of the best advice I have heard in years.  Kiersten's mother, Sherry, is a great support system for Will and slowly becomes the mother figure Will and Lake have been missing since last September.

Eddie and Gavin, Will and Lake's best friends, have a large role in this story as well.  They have their own relationship issues to work through, but the four best friends stick together through good times and bad.  

After reading these books, I'm fascinated with this performing art form and plan on attending a slam in downtown Columbus next month.  I just hope it will live up to my expectations.  I loved all of the slams in this book, which were performed by several different characters.  We have come to expect exceptional slams from Will, but Colleen surprised us with a couple of additional performances I never would have anticipated.

Will and Lake have experienced more heartache in their short lives than anyone should have to endure in a lifetime.  I sincerely hope the third and final book in this series will start their lives off on a roller coaster ride that is only going up....to steal a quote from Augustus Waters. 

This is an exceptional series that I would recommend to any YA/NA fan.  If for no other butterflying reason, you should read this book to discover the significance of the word butterfly.  While the new definition was humorous in certain situations, it becomes very significant by the end of this novel.  

2 comments:

  1. Great review Jacque -- I read these books when they were self-published and have loved them ever since!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I am behind on some reading at the moment, but I really hope to get to the final book this summer. I can't believe I waited so long to read them.

      Delete