Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Review: Matched by Ally Condie

Matched (Matched, #1)

This book has been on my TBR list since July 2011.  For some reason I kept skipping over it until I found a copy in my local little free library.  At that point I figured it was a sign I should finally read it.

Matched is about a "Society" that has perfected everything.  They control what and when you eat, who you will marry, how many children you can have and when, what job you have, etc.  The benefits have been the elimination of cancer and other diseases, an increased life expectancy, decreased violence, improved efficiency, etc.  The only thing that seems to be missing is a life filled with choice and happiness.  The citizens simply live out each day like robots because the Society knows what is best.

Cassia is a seventeen year old girl who begins to challenge the rules after her grandfather tells her she "shouldn't go gentle", which is a quote from a banned poem.  She starts thinking independently and wants to create things instead of simply doing what she is told.  She even begins to question why people can't fall in love with whoever they choose.  She has been matched with Xander, but she may be falling in love with Ky.  She doesn't understand why she can't be with him if they make each other happy.  

This book was surprisingly good.  A solid 5 stars!!  I had no idea what it was about prior to starting it, but I was aware of all of the hype it received when it was first released.  It appears the government is losing control as outsiders continue to resist.  Now those on the inside, like Cassia, may be staging a revolt and I can't wait to see how things will unfold in the sequel.  I already have a copy of Crossed and plan on reading it as part of my summer COYER reading challenge.  Now that I have discovered this series I don't think I can resist seeing how it will conclude.  


No comments:

Post a Comment