Thursday, April 25, 2019

Review: The Twelve Days of Dash and Lily by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan


I just stumbled across the Year of Epic Reads Challenge that began at the beginning of the year.  There is a quarterly, monthly, or weekly challenge depending upon your reading ambitions.  I started mid April, so I have no realistic chance of completing all of the challenges, but I am going to try to complete as many as I can.

Week 5's challenge was to read a book by two authors.  The point of this exercise for me is to decrease my TBR list vs. increasing it by searching out books that qualify, so it was Christmas in April.


The Twelve Days of Dash and Lily really is a sequel to Dash & Lily's Book of Dares, which I absolutely loved.  You really should read that book prior to this one to fully appreciate this story.  

Christmas is rolling around again and Dash and Lily's one year anniversary is quickly approaching.  Even though this is usually Lily's favorite time of year, it has been a very hard year for her.  Her beloved grandfather has had health problems that are putting a physical and emotional strain on the entire family.  With all of the added responsibility of caring for her grandfather, Lily just can't find her Christmas spirit.  

Dash has never really been good friends with Lily's older brother Langston, but they join forces to help Lily overcome her Christmas blues.  There is another set of fun filled scavenger hunts reminiscent of the original Dash & Lily story, but the overall tone of this installment is much different.  They have settled into their relationship and are adjusting to numerous changes life is throwing their way.  They have a large and supportive group of family and friends that were instrumental in helping them along the way, but Dash's father certainly wasn't one of them. 

This wasn't the light and fluffy Christmas story I was expecting, but I really enjoyed it.  There was a great mix of characters and a number of hilarious situations that offset some of the more serious tones.  I am glad Rachel and David continued Dash & Lily's story and was pleased with how things turned out in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment