Thursday, November 14, 2019

Review: The Dazzling Heights by Katharine McGee


Review:

There is so much drama going on in this book that you can't even imagine. While it has been a while since I read the first book in the series, I did not have any difficulty jumping back into this futuristic world. Everyone's secrets were pretty much revealed in the first book and now all of our main characters have something on someone and no one is happy.  They are all scheming and plotting and trying to get the upper hand, but someone unexpected is watching and may know more than they think about their lives on the upper floors.

How high up you live in the tower is directly proportional to your financial status. Rylin and Watt are from the lower floors, but they have worked their way up the ladder socially. Rylin received a scholarship to attend the prestigious upper floor private school Avery, Leda, and Cord attend while Watt's computer skills helped him integrate into this elite circle. Rylin hopes to patch up her relationship with Cord, but he may never be able to trust her again.  

Watt and his quantum computer, Nadia, are probably my favorite characters in the book. (I'm considering Nadia a character since she has quite the personality.) I feel like his intentions are good and he simply got caught in a bad situation. As events unfolded and certain characters began working together, I felt like he and Nadia may just be the answer to many of their problems. 

Calliope is a disposable character in my opinion.  I don't really care for her or what she and her mother have been doing for years. I wish she would just move onto her next target, but it doesn't appear that will be happening anytime soon. She has been living a lie for so long that I don't think anyone will ever be able to trust her.

I actually like Avery and Atlas and feel bad for them and their situation. Unless they plan on leaving their ritzy high profile lives, I don't see any way things could work out for them. Avery needs to see life for what it is and move on. Atlas seems to have seen the light, but Avery is still in denial.

Leda is the one character that really evolved in this installment. I couldn't stand her for the majority of the book, but she really turned a new leaf towards the end and was a completely different person. She was no longer the self centered ____ she has been for the majority of the series and was actually a civilized human being. I found myself rooting for her, but I'm not sure she will ever be able to overcome her past.

The ending was unbelievable and something I never would have seen coming. I have no idea who is behind the events that unfolded and I can't wait to read the last book in this series to find out.  I read the Thousandth floor as soon as it was released and got hit with the one year wait between books. I ended up waiting until the entire series had been published before picking up book two to avoid this agonizing situation once again. Now I can jump right into the final book to see how everything unfolds.  

No comments:

Post a Comment