Monday, January 11, 2016

Review: Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella

Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1)

I've read a couple of Sophie Kinsella's stand-alone novels and really enjoyed them.  For some reason I kept skipping over the Shopaholic books when selecting my next book...probably because I wasn't ready to start another series, but this book was absolutely adorable.

Sophie's characters are always unique and a bit quirky and Rebecca (Becky) Bloomwood is no exception.  She is a financial journalist in London, which is ironic given her own financial situation.  She can't control her spending and has gotten herself in well over her head.  Rather than confront the situation, she comes up with every excuse imaginable to avoid her creditors and continues shopping as a means of coping with her troubles.  

Her father tells her she needs to either cut back her spending or make more money if she wants to solve her money problems.  She tries all sorts of schemes, but can’t seem to catch a break.  Just when she thinks it is hopeless, she comes across a HUGE story that puts her up against one of the biggest PR firms in London.  How will Becky stand up against the brilliant Luke Brandon, who is the owner of Brandon Communications?  You will definitely want to read and find out.

I’m excited to read Shopaholic Takes Manhattan, which is the next book in the series.  I already have a copy, but I will probably save it until spring break.  I think this series would make an excellent travel/beach read.  It is highly entertaining, humorous, and doesn’t require too much attention to detail.  

1 comment:

  1. Great review Jacque! I liked this one a lot, too when I read it. May be time for a re-read!

    ReplyDelete