Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Review: Die Once More by Amy Plum



Jules fans are in for a treat with Amy's most recent novella.  This book is 3.5 in the Revenants series and provides a glimpse into the lives of all of our favorite revenants after that epic battle at the end of If I Should Die.

Jules is living with a group of revenants in New York while he tries to sort out his feelings for Kate.  He knows there will never be anything between the two of them, but living in Paris with Kate and Vincent was more than he can handle at the moment.

While living in New York, he meets a revenant named Ava, who has given him the cold shoulder ever since their first meeting.  He refers to her as "Frosty", which I found to be very amusing.  He can't figure out what he possibly could have done to deserve such treatment.  He literally just arrived.

As Numa activity begins to escalate in New York it becomes evident that they will need to seek guidance from their Paris kindred.  Jules is reluctant to return, but he is pleasantly surprised by what he discovers about himself and Ava once he does.  The time away allowed him to fully appreciate the relationships he has with his Paris kindred.  That isn't something he will ever throw away, but he realizes it is time for a change and his life in New York is full of possibilities.

I felt like this book was a necessity after the way Amy left Jules in such a depressed state in Die for Her and If I Should Die.  He was always such an upbeat character that it didn't seem fitting.  Die Once More shows how Jules turns the corner and will likely achieve the happiness he deserves.    

3 comments:

  1. I loved Jules when I read this series and while I'm not really interested in continuing it any more (even for a novella) I'm glad to hear he got the resolution he was missing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently changed my mind about novellas after years of avoiding them. I am finding out that they can really add so much to the overall experience of a series. I am glad that this is the case here and you enjoyed it. I have the first in this series on my TBR and will be sure to read Die Once More when I get to that point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't found too many novellas I haven't liked. They are short and sweet and usually help tie up loose ends. I hope you enjoy the series!!

    ReplyDelete